Sep 28, 2006

The Sinking Ship


We seem to be losing employees, like our restaurant is the Titanic. The question is? Am I a passenger, or a member of the orchestra?

Do I go down with the ship, or jump while I can?

Work has been horrible lately. Everyone is discontented. And its not me. There is nothing I can do to fix it. I can't stand it. Everyone is pretty annoyed at the General Manager. Nothing seems to be dealt with. Lately he has just been spouting platitudes - and doing nothing about it. In all fairness to him, its been a really bad summer. We've been short staffed for the majority of the summer. Lost two long term employees, mainly cuz they didn't like the way the General Manager spoke to them. From the way he looked at it though, they didn't like being expected to do their job. They did a great job, granted, they had some areas they needed to work on - i wouldn't have yelled at them though. But then, I dont yell at anyone, except if you're a dishwasher and continually proposing to me. We hired quite a few high school students, which helped in the summer, but now that school's back in they want to cut their shifts. Not that I blame them at all - So here we are, back at the beginning, looking for staff, hiring, training, and then more people decide to quit. They have had enough - I hate to say it, but most of their reasons for leaving have to do with either the General Manager, or the Kitchen Manager. Something needs to change here.


To jump or not to jump, that is the question.


No comments: